Part-Time 2022 Mobile Farmers’ Market Assistant
- Able to lift between 40 lbs (crates of fruit or vegetables).
- Able to work with customers – engage customers in conversations about vegetables, cooking and healthy food choices, information about the produce offered for sale, answer questions and smile.
- Able to handle money and make change, use digital scales, use wireless credit card machine. 4. Some common knowledge about produce is helpful, and the applicant must have the interest to learn all fruit and vegetables available and how to select, prepare and store them and communicate that information to our customers.
- For drivers, a valid driver’s license and good driving history
York Fresh Food Farms
150 Willis Road
York, PA 17404
York Fresh Food Farms is looking for part time market assistants to work at our 2022 Mobile Produce Market in the City of York, PA, between 2 and 6 late mornings or afternoons each week.
York Fresh Food Farms is a small, sustainable produce farm growing more than 18 tons of produce within the City of York. We are a 501(c)(3), nonprofit organization. Our goal is to grow and sell fresh, healthy, nutritious fruit and vegetables for local residents and help families eat healthy. York Fresh Food Farms needs part-time Farmers’ Market Assistants to load, unload and wait on customers at our Mobile Produce Market. We also need Farmers’ Market Assistants with good driving records, who are comfortable driving our market vehicles (Ford E350 shuttle bus and a Ford Econoline Van). A commercial drivers license is not required.
The Mobile Produce Market is a farmers-market-on-wheels selling fresh vegetables and fruit six days a week in 15 different neighborhoods in the City of York, The mobile market stops are generally scheduled at 10:00am to 12:30pm or 3:30pm to 6:30pm. Market Assistants need to arrive at least 30 or 45 minutes before each market and complete market work 30 or 45 minutes after each market stop. The position is for between 2 and 6, mornings or afternoons per week, or more, with the possibility of additional hours filling in at additional markets. The position starts the first week of June and the Mobile Produce Market will operate through October into November, depending on the weather. York Fresh Food Farms may be flexible so a candidate can work around a school or 2nd part-time job schedule. All work will be performed under the supervision of the Mobile Produce Market Manager. The job pays $10 to $13/hour, depending on experience, qualifications and availability. No experience is required. All work is outdoors in a variety of weather conditions. We are looking for several committed, hard-working individuals who enjoy working with the people and produce, being outside and helping your community.
- Load market bus with vegetables from cold room and storage at the 150 Willis Road farm.
- Help set up farm stand with tent(s), crates, bins, tables, boxes, displays and signs.
- Help with sales, help customers, weigh produce with digital scales, total customers’ orders, collect money, make change and process debit/credit/SNAP-EBT charges.
- Restock display crates, bins and boxes.
- Help take apart market, load produce, crates, etc., and pack up bus.
- After returning to 150 Willis Road, you will help unload bus and put produce away in designated locations and replace any needed supplies before winding up.
- For drivers, Drive market bus to and from mobile market locations.
A positive attitude, good sense of humor, motivation, enthusiasm, and a strong desire to learn are all very helpful attributes. Good people and communication skills are a plus as well as being able to talk and work with culturally diverse groups of customers and neighbors.
Being a York City resident and fluency in Spanish are a plus but not required.
Applicants must fully complete and submit an application form, provide references and, for drivers, Request for Driver Information (PennDOT form DL 503) and may be asked to complete a short cashier math test, as well as provide forms W-4 and I-9.
Reply to: Alyssa Dalton, Mobile Market Manager. Please put the words market assistant in the subject line.