Vacuum Excavation Technician
349 Buck Rd, Suite 3
Quarryville, PA 17566
Vacuum Excavation Technician – Job Description
Ecotech exists to provide safe, valuable and trustworthy services through investment in our employees and customers, while building long-term relationships as the leader within the Vacuum Excavating industry.
Ecotech is based out of Quarryville, PA and operates in Pennsylvania, Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey, Virginia and West Virginia. Crews are dispatched on a daily basis from Ecotech’s main shop at 349 Buck Road, Quarryville, PA 17566. You will be expected to report to the Shop Location at the start of each shift. Ecotech also provides emergency services to clients, so proximity to the Shop Location is preferred. Ecotech also favors close proximity to the Shop Location because it typically operates within a 4-hour radius of the Shop Location; therefore, occasional overnight travel is to be expected.
As a Vacuum Excavation Technician, you will drive and operate the support truck, which carries additional piping, materials and safety equipment for the separate vacuum excavation truck, which is operated by the Foreman. As a Vacuum Excavation Technician, you will assist the Vacuum Excavation Foreman with excavating services by using pressurized water and a vacuum system to safely, precisely and efficiently dig around utilities, pipelines and numerous other applications. Your work is performed outdoors in all weather conditions. Class B or higher CDL is NOT required for this position but you must be willing to obtain such license.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Perform the assigned work in a timely and workmanlike manner; and treat the customer in the same manner as any owner of Ecotech.
- Be properly trained and responsible for your own safety, and the safety of others, including other Ecotech employees, customers, and the general public, including but not limited to proper
Certifications and licenses.
- Understand and follow duties in accordance with company safety policies, regulations, practices, and applicable laws.
- Assists in all phases of construction activities including mobilization and operation of equipment, truck maintenance, organization of project supplies, general cleanup of jobsites, and attendance at Safety Meetings.
- Assist foreman with various excavation activities near utilities including core drilling, shoveling, tamping, back filling and other general construction labor.
- Assist foreman with operation and maintenance of truck(s) and its hoses. Hoses used on the truck(s) weigh 80 or more pounds and are operated manually. Must be able to life 80 pounds waist high.
- Possess mechanical ability to evaluate and repair minor problems with the truck and other equipment.
- Possess effective communication skills to communicate with company owners and management, other employees, customers and the general public in a courteous and respectful manner.
- Able to conduct oneself in a manner that is positive and promotes both you and Ecotech.
- Able to repetitively sit, lift, stoop, bend, squat, kneel, reach and crawl.
- Must be willing to refrain from extensive use of their cell phone and other mobile devices during working hours (from the time the truck leaves the Shop Location to the time it returns to the Shop Location).
- Willing to bring issues that impact the company and/or any of its employees to the attention of company management immediately upon discovery.
- Must be able to work in all outdoor elements for extended periods of time.
- Must be organized and have sufficient computer skills necessary to input work orders and enter time accurately.
Qualifications and Skills
- Entry level preferred
- Desire for sustained employment with Ecotech and opportunity for advancement
- Live within thirty (30) minutes of the Shop Location (during regular commuting hours when traffic is expected) and have a willingness to come in at off hours in the event of emergency
- Prefer no prior vacuum excavation and/or vacuum truck experience, and/or industry experience
- Must see safety as a top priority
- Must be honest and hardworking – this includes, but is not limited to, a failure to disclose information on a job application, at the time of hire, after employment begins, or in any way relating to employment with the company or performance of your assigned job responsibilities.
- Must have a positive attitude
- Must have good communication skills
- Ability to work well independently and as a part of a team
- Ability to take direction from a supervisor
- Ability to pass motor vehicle, criminal background check, and comply with drug-free workplace policy
- Willingness to obtain a Class B CDL
- Relevant Computer Skills on an as needed basis depending on the job
- Provide copies of any relevant or applicable certifications or trainings as requested by Ecotech
- Provide two (2) references from previous employers, if applicable
- Paid Holidays
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Short Term Disability Insurance
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) plan with company match
- Paid training and educational opportunities
- Company paid Personal Protection Equipment (PPE)
- Advancement opportunities