Mechanical Services Manager I & II
Motor Vehicle Academy
Educational Requirements and Qualifications: High School Diploma or GED with one (1) to three (3) years management experience required. Must be qualified to operate a motor vehicle and possess a valid driver’s license.
The physical activity requirements of the position are from Light to Medium Physical Work.
Visual acuity requirements include color, depth perception and field of vision comparable to definitions for Clerical, Administrative, Machine Operators (including inspection) positions.
Constant – reaching, standing, walking, fingering, grasping, feeling, talking, hearing
Frequent – stooping, repetitive motion
Occasional– balancing, kneeling, crouching, pushing, pulling, lifting
Potential – running, jumping, yelling or other rapid or forceful movement in emergency situations
Job Summary: Reporting to the General Manager or designated manager, operate the mechanical services shop in accordance with corporate guidelines to ensure maximum production volume in the most profitable way possible. Direct the work of the mechanical services shop in an efficient and productive manner to complete necessary repairs prior to scheduled sale. Perform all duties assigned by the General Manager or designee. Must know, practice and ensure that company policies and procedures and state or federal laws are followed at all times by persons under their jurisdiction.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Provide prompt and courteous services: both on the phone and in person
- Demonstrate friendliness and proper phone etiquette with every customer
- Maintain a professional appearance and a neat work environment consistent with the handbook
- Make sure customers receive prompt, efficient and courteous attention from all employees
- Resolve any customer complaints in a friendly, courteous manner and advise the General Manager or designee of all serious complaints or incidences.
- Coordinate recruiting and hiring procedures for mechanical services shop staff with Human Resources Representative per policy.
- Develop and train all employees within the Department by company standards and guidelines. Monitor training conducted and ensure such training is according to company policy and procedures.
- Prepare and conduct performance appraisals for all direct reports per company policy. Maintain all wage and salary guidelines within the Department.
- Make sure the mechanical services shop is properly staffed at all times. Control regular and overtime payroll within budgets.
- Attend a Profit and Loss Statement review each accounting period with the Controller. Ensure accurate and timely reconciliation of mechanical services shop accounting with weekly and monthly corporate reports. Initiate and follow up on discrepancies.
- Manage controllable expenses and cost items affecting probability of the mechanical services shop. Order supplies and forms.
- Monitor inventory levels and work with other managers to ensure maximum turnover of inventory without loss of sales. Advise and assist with corrective procedures, if needed. Initiate and complete accurate inventory transfers as instructed.
- Monitor and ensure compliance with all contractual customer, contractor, and supplier agreements in conjunction with the Accounting Department.
- Monitor and control all facility conditions, vehicles, property and equipment under mechanical services shop direction within corporate standards for cleanliness, proper maintenance and safety. Conduct routine inspections to determine if appearance meets these standards.
- Assure good operating condition of all equipment. Perform minor maintenance and repair to property and equipment as needed.
- Inform the General Manager or designee and Facilities of all breakdowns and maintenance immediately.
- Make sure all mechanical services shop area conditions do not threaten employee or customer safety. Respond to and follow proper procedures on employee and customer accidents, injuries, and loss or damage to any property. Report all incidents to the General Manager or designee immediately. Practice and instruct all employees in proper loss prevention and reaction procedures. Report all incidents properly and immediately.
Physical Working Condition:
This position is subject to both inside and outside environmental working conditions, including temperature changes, outside weather conditions, slightly elevated ambient noise levels, minor potential physical hazards, such as electrical, mechanical equipment and cleaning, body shop and painting chemicals; and minor atmospheric conditions affecting skin or respiratory systems, such as fumes, odors and dusts associated with mechanic or body shop and paint operations.
Note: Refer to the Handbook and Policy Manuals for important addendum requirements to all job descriptions. This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) incumbent in this position. Employee(s) will be required to follow any other job-related instruction and to perform any other job-related duties requested by and person authorized to give instructions or assignments. The requirements listed in this document are the minimum levels of knowledge, skills, or abilities.