Tool & Die Maker Journeyman
This position requires Tool & Die Maker Journeyman Papers
The Manufacturer’s Association
Are you looking for a Tool and Die Maker position with great benefits and pay? Looking for a challenge that can make you a true expert in your field?
We’re seeking full-time, experienced Tool & Die Makers for 1st and 2nd shifts. This position works in high-precision, so we need the best.
What you’ll be doing: Construct, modify and condition multi-station metal working dies and will fabricate new gauges, cutting and forming tools, and fixtures; applying knowledge of tool and dies design and construction to machining, layout, assembly and condition procedures. This position requires Tool & Die Maker Journeyman Papers.
This is what your day to day will look like:
- Lays out work assignments of all complexity levels utilizing verbal instructions, rough sketches, tooling and product prints and visualizes product.
- Computes dimensions, establishes reference points, centerlines, and guidelines on tooling and product measures, marks and scribes metal stock for machining purposes.
- Determines necessary machine operations and set-up along with operating machine tools such as lathe, milling machine, grinder, to machine parts and verifies conformance of machined parts to desired specifications.
- Fits and assembles component parts into completed unit on mechanism and verifies dimensions, alignment, and clearance. File, stones, grinds, scrapers or performs other smoothing or blending operations to enable parts to fit properly. May use shims to correct improper fit and correct alignment.
- Sets die in press and trial runs to assure proper clearance under pressure and to check for binding. Check and inspect completed stamped parts for adherence to engineering specifications.
- Analyzes and corrects complex tools malfunctioning in newly constructed or modified dies, verifying dimensions, alignments, clearances, making any adjustments or corrections to die or die parts to rectify tolerance deviations occurring in the stamped product.
- Recommends changes in tooling design under general approval of engineering to improve such factors as life, quality and quantity of tolling and product while conditioning die to prevent breakage of small intricate die tooling or elimination design problems.
- Utilizes toolmakers hand tools and all related hand tools.
- Utilizes precision measuring instruments such as height gages, gage blocks, and comparators. Dial indicators, toolmakers microscope and micrometers to ensure parts are to proper specification and to check over die assembly to insure that each station is in correct position.
- Heat treats to harden, stress relieve and anneal tool steel and case harden machine steel, if needed.
- As required provides instruction and training to apprentices and trainees and employees in less classifications
- Practices safety at all time
- Perform related duties as assigned by supervisor or production manager.
- Maintain compliance with all company policies and procedures.