Full Time Ground Technician & Turnkey Driver
Helicopter Applicators Inc.
About Helicopter Applicators Inc
Helicopter Applicators performs a multitude of services including wet and dry aerial application, land rehabilitation, aerial ignition and aerial lifts. From fungicide to herbicide and Insecticide, HAI has worked alongside government agencies as well as private industries to provide accurate and timely applications that meet our client’s needs. The majority of applications are performed with the aid of onboard navigational computers. Shapefiles are uploaded for the pilot to follow which greatly increases precision and allows for the job to be completed with minimal time and product wasted.
Our FT Ground Technician/Turnkey drivers are responsible for driving/delivering water, jet fuel, and chemicals to various work locations and supporting the helicopter pilot with measuring/mixing chemicals to the appropriate mix. Data entry and organization of data and a variety of other tasks will also be required. See the below details for more information regarding these positions job requirements/duties.
Daily/Basic Job operations
- At all times, project a professional and courteous image to the customer and general public
- Operate company equipment safely and in compliance with all federal, state, DOT regulations
- Navigate company equipment/trucks to off road/remote landing zones using GPS, maps, or verbal instructions where the helicopter is able to land next to or on top of the stationary truck
- Perform basic equipment, maintenance, and inspections daily while on job sites. And be responsible for repairing and/or reporting necessary items to management.
- Keeping all equipment clean at all times, to include working with the crew to wash aircraft and trucks daily and avoiding chemical spills and messes at all times.
- Operate as a turnkey/pickup driver as work need requires
- Use Ipad and/or phone apply to log daily chemical use
- Manage Chemical Inventory and verify proper quantities for planned jobs
- Organize the daily workload and communicate plans with customers
- Manage digital transfer of spray files to and from pilots
- Plan and verify accessibility for trucks to remote spray location
- Plan and organize bulk water purchase from municipalities in the work area
- Any additional tasks as required to complete the job as directed by the pilot
- Willing and able to keep accurate mileage records, logbooks, chemical records, etc.
- Prepping your truck as much as possible before the trip and before each day (loading with water, fuel, chemical) so as to minimize down time during the spray session.
- Measuring and mixing chemicals and loading into aircraft through pumps, hoses, etc.
- Fueling aircraft using the onboard fuel tank/system
- Physical labor to include dragging hoses, carrying chemical boxes, rolling barrels, climbing ladders, and working outdoor in all weather conditions is common in this position.
- Willing and able to lift 50lbs overhead, pull 300+lbs hoses and complete work that involves repetitive motion and/or repetitive lifting
- Must be at least 21 years of age
- Class A (preferred) or B CDL
- A performance review will be conducted to ensure satisfactory skills are met.
- Current or willingness to obtain tanker, air-brake, and hazmat endorsements.
- Ability to pass a pre-employment as well as random drug testing and a criminal background check.
- Current or willingness to obtain state pesticide certifications
- (company will provide training and pay for this)
- Prior spray application or mixing is a plus
- Ability to work well in a team environment with HAI employees and outside personnel (i.e. state employees, customers, chemical vendors, etc.)
- Willing and able to travel on short notice and for sometimes extended periods.
- Willing and able to work overtime hours including weekend work required during seasonal peaks. This includes overnight trips to off-site locations and additional travel necessary at off-site locations.
- Willing and able to learn and understand spray mixing mathematical calculations. Must be able to calculate figures and amounts such as product quantity load counts and weight measurements. A performance review will be conducted to ensure satisfactory skills are met.
- At time of interview, HAI will have candidate complete a chemical mix test to determine math proficiency. HAI does not expect candidates to be completely proficient but to determine math experience and whether the position is a good fit.
- Mechanical aptitude/experience is a plus.
- This position is subject to a 3-month job probation period
Please note this job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by employees assigned to this position. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive list of duties, responsibilities, and qualifications. Other job-related duties may be assigned. Helicopter Applicators reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet business and organization needs as necessary with or without notice.
This position will require intermittent and sometimes extensive travel primarily throughout the east coast and occasionally further. All GTs will be assigned to particular off-site projects as they arise based off company need, driver experience and Driver licenses/credentials/endorsements. GTs will travel and work with a 2 to 4-person crew to include the aircraft/pilot and other ground support personnel as needed. Due to the seasonal/weather dependent nature of the industry, travel is often required on short notice (1 to 2 days) and for up to 3 weeks at a time.
All operations are weather dependent and work hours when on a job site will vary significantly. A typical workday will start before daylight and weather permitting may continue until dark. Alternatively, wind or rain can shut down an operation for several days. Duration of a particular project therefore can vary as weather delays are common. Employees are guaranteed a minimum 8-hour day for any/all overnight assignments, excluding days where employees are traveling to and from Gettysburg Hangar location.
This is a FT position. When on an off main location worksite that is not HAI, work hours will vary and are entirely weather dependent, but may include up to seven days a week and 15 hours per day.
When not assigned to an off- site location job , GTs will report Monday-Friday to Chris Macbeth, truck shop manager or Greg Snyder, Paint shop manager) at the Gettysburg, PA location for 5 day, 8 hour work shifts. Work shifts at the Gettysburg shop will include facility wide duties such as truck repairs/maintenance and various ground/building maintenance as needed.
You will want to review the company handbook for all time and attendance/UTO/PTO/holiday policies.
Appropriate Shop and on Job Site Clothing:
HAI does not provide clothing allowances nor do we pay for clothes on the company card. Employees will be responsible to dress appropriately and professionally for work assignments. For a general reference, employees should refrain from wearing sleeveless tank tops, open toe shoes, or clothing that contain excessive amounts of stains/holes. PPE will be provided if performing a safety sensitive function in need of PPE. Due to safety hazards, hats that are not secured with hearing protective are prohibited while around aircraft.
Full Time Driver Benefits – *please review the company handbook for more details on Full Time benefits
- Medical/Dental/Vision and all other supplemental insurances
- Eligible upon successful completion of the 60 day job probation period
- 401k with employer safe harbor match
- FT/Seasonal employees will be eligible to join Helicopter Applicators Inc. 401k plan after one full year and 1,000 hours worked. Typically, Employees are eligible for the 401k benefit on their one year work anniversary. Contact the front office benefit department for more details
- Eligible upon successful completion of the 60-day job probation period
- Please review the company handbook for more information
- Per diem/Travel Expenses
- Helicopter Applicators Inc. pays for travel expenses that include the following, hotels, fuel, water, ice, etc
- Employees are eligible to receive up to $55 daily per diem when away from Gettysburg, PA to cover meals.
- Please review the employee handbook for the specifics of how the $55.00 daily per diem rate is earned.
- Commission Opportunities
- HAI typically offers CDL drivers SEA or FT a commission rate for each acre worked on certain jobs classified as “forestry.” Please discuss with the hiring manager and front office for more details
- Educational Opportunities
- HAI has limited educational opportunities available for upgrading CDL B to CDL A licenses. Please see the front office for more information
Compensation Full Time Gts will be compensated on an hourly rate, basis dependent on experience and to be negotiated at time of interview.