Pastry Cook III
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- Minimum of 1 year high product scratch bakery experience with a main focus in yeast dough
- Degree or Certificate in Baking and Pastry Arts; 2 years related work experience may be substituted for education
- see below for additional qualifications
Hershey Entertainment & Resorts
This position plays a primary role in the execution of plated desserts within the Hotels Restaurants. Displays a solid knowledge of production and finishing techniques of all baking and pastry products. This individual also displays leadership in the realm of kitchen production, plated desserts, baked goods and finishing techniques.
The Lead Pastry Cook leads the others while executing daily tasks with efficiency and accuracy. This individual is expected to understand various business levels and how it impacts our interest as a business in food and labor costs for success.
Performs related job duties as required, to include daily food requisitions, banquet and outlet production, finishing and set-up of buffets and the ability to work on an a la carte line in the pastry area of any of our restaurants.
- Produce various pastry and baked goods consistently with little supervision, while maintaining quality standards in any area of the Hotel pastry department
- Maintain clean and sanitary work environment and station on a daily basis
- Maintain standards of good personal hygiene and proper uniform at all times
- Project positive, self-motivated & professional attitude at all times
- Exhibits solid knowledge, understand and application of all fundamental techniques of pastry and baked goods
- Maintain a high standard of food quality with demonstrated efficiency in the utilization of products to control food product
- Ability to communicate effectively as a team player with supervisors, employees & customers
- Identify and safely use all kitchen equipment
- Properly label, date and rotate all products to ensure safe keeping and sanitation
- Take a leadership role in assisting, training and directing culinary interns, and all lower classification cooks in daily tasks and organization
- Be able to control inventories, requisitions, and par levels for proper ordering
- Review all prep lists in regards to food and labor costs
- Order designation station items and conduct monthly inventories
- Assist Assistant/Executive Pastry Chef in developing and writing new menu ideas and recipes with seasonality and interest
- Performs other job related duties as required, to include nightly food requisitions
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- Minimum of 1 year product scratch bakery experience with a main focus in yeast dough
- Degree or Certificate in Baking or Pastry Arts; 2 years related work experience may be substituted for education
- Superior baking and pastry skills and knowledge
- Proficient pastry skills including: icing, glazing and piping, torting/building of cakes and frames, individual dessert production & basic and advanced baking techniques
- Knowledge of bread structure, dough hydration and lamination process for bakery station
- Knowledge of European classic pastry styles and techniques
- Able to follow recipes or chef’s directions without supervision
- Demonstrate advanced ability in all food cookery techniques
- Demonstrate ability to lead, direct & train other employees and externs
- Working knowledge of kitchen equipment, good knife skills, and possess a full tool kit
- Working knowledge of weights and measures, as well as basic math applications
- Professional appearance and demeanor
- Utilize interpersonal skills to deal effectively with all business contacts
- Ability to work organized, alone or with a team environment
- Ability to speak, read and write in English
- Ability to handle a fast paced, and at times, an extremely stressful environment
- Capable of following directions from Chefs, Directors, and department leaders
- Pass a written culinary/pastry test covering modern, fundamentals, and classic baking and pastry techniques with a score of at least 75%
- Complete a baking and pastry practical exam to test actual abilities
- Must obtain ServSafe certification
Physical Demands & Working Conditions:
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to:
- Reaching Forward Constant (>67%)
- Lifting Frequent (34-66%) (50lbs maximum weight)
- Reaching Overhead Occasional (<33%)
- Finger Dexterity Constant (>67%)
- Hand/Eye Coordination Constant (>67%)
- Stooping Occasional (<33%)
- Bending Occasional (<33%)
- Standing Constant (>67%)
- Walking Frequent (34-66%)
- Pushing/Pulling (<33%) (150 lbs maximum weight)
- Must have ability of taste buds to distinguish between and among flavors, spices, temperature, and mouth feel (smoothness, pungency, etc.) of food, and beverage
- Must be able to perform repetitive motions. Must have ability to use body parts on a regular and continuing basis repeating the same motions for a reasonable period of time without resting.
- Must be able to work in extreme temperatures.
- This is a union position and the work schedule will be based on union seniority. Candidates must be able to meet scheduled requirements, which will most likely require evening and weekend hours.
Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
Hershey Entertainment & Resorts is an Equal Opportunity Employer.